have you actually hit a scalability problem?

if you are trying to optimize upfront you can use a less invasive
technique. all resource urls in wicekt are served under the
/resources/ virtual folder. you can enable the setting where wicket
will append a last-modified date to the end of each resource url, and
then have an apache-side cache to cache and serve everything under
/resources/.

alternatively see how ContextImage works if you want to serve your own
stuff out of webapp folder.

-igor