Sounds like you are using static models instead of dynamic models.

E.g. if you use Model.of("test"), the model is essentialy self-contained.
Whereas if you have a property called "value" in your wizard and you use
new PropertyModel( Wizard.this, "value" )
, the model will depend on the value of the "value" property.

Bas