You have some options:

Write one abstract panel with the complex markup and extend the
read-only and editable panels from that class (wicket:child and
wicket:extend).

Or, create a panel with the complex markup and create two separate
panels to edit and read. Switch those panels from the
ComplexMarkupPanel, depending on which one you want to see.

Regards,

Daan van Etten