this is still highly error prone. locking a component subtree is not
always enough. usually component subtrees share a model object that is
somewhere higher up, so it is the component that owns the root model
object that needs to be locked. but, once you throw in model chaining
into the mix it becomes not so easy to figure out which component
should actually own the root lock.

-igor