Maybe you can have a look at Wicketstuff's solution:

http://wicket-stuff.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/wicket-stuff/trunk/wicketstuff-core/push-parent/push/

-----Original Message-----
From: chinedu efoagui [mailto:chinedub...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 5:05 PM
To: users@wicket.apache.org
Subject: Re: notification system

thank you Ernesto
I was actually looking for a push solution
but i will look at what you just described

On 1/19/10, Ernesto Reinaldo Barreiro <reier...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you have a "common denominator"  on your pages why not have there some
> panel that inform the user about new messages? e.g. with a link that opens
> up some kind of modal (or non modal) window with the messages. This panel
> could contain and AJAX timer that gets back to the server once in a while
> and checks for new messages... If you need "real time" notifications then
> maybe you want to use some kind of push solution.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ernesto
>
> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 4:33 PM, chinedu efoagui
> <chinedub...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> hello
>>
>> please am trying to build a notification system on an application.I
>> have completed most of
>> work. where I am stuck is how to trigger events that will fire the
>> notifications in the following scenerios
>> 1. when the user logs into the application. it informs the user of x
>> number of messages.
>> 2. when the user session is on if a new message come it will alert the
>> user.
>> how do i accomplish this?please any help would be appreciated.

The information contained in this communication is confidential, intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may
be legally privileged and protected by professional secrecy. Access to this
message by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient,
any disclosure, copying, or distribution of the message, or any action or
omission taken by you in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful.
Please immediately contact the sender if you have received this message in
error. This email does not constitute any commitment from Cordys Holding BV or
any of its subsidiaries except when expressly agreed in a written agreement
between the intended recipient and Cordys Holding BV or its subsidiaries.
Cordys is neither liable for the proper and complete transmission of the
information contained in this communication nor for any delay in its receipt.
Cordys does not guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been
maintained nor that the communication is free of viruses, interceptions or
interference. If you are not the intended recipient of this communication
please return the communication to the sender and delete and destroy all copies.