So  overriding onAfterRender for a component doesn't just override it for that
instance of the component?

Also I can see the markup is being added to the end of the page after the
closing HTML. However, the Javadocs say it is meant to be called after after
the actual component is finished rendering. So it look s like onAfterRender is
not what I need.

Can I attach to a different phase in the render lifecycle to call the
javascript when that specific panel has just finished rendering?

thanks,
Steve