From: Igor Vaynberg [mailto:igor.vaynb...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, February 08, 2010 1:20 PM
To: users@wicket.apache.org
Cc: Juergen Donnerstag
Subject: Re: Form#anyComponentError change in 1.4 breaks validation

Juergen,

do you remember what the problem was taking out the instanceof checks
for Form and FormComponent? i dont see why they were added or why
removing them would cause problems...

seems some changes are related to WICKET-2202

cheers
-igor

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 9:14 AM, Russell Morrisey
<russell.morri...@missionse.com> wrote:
> We are in the process of upgrading our application from wicket 1.3 to 1.4.5.
> There were a lot of minor changes due to the generics-related code changes,
> but for the most part the upgrade has been smooth. One big problem we've
> recently come across:
>
> Form#anyComponentError was changed in this version. This is a breaking change
> for our application, with no simple workaround provided. Please consider
> rolling it back to the previous behavior.
>
> In the previous version of wicket, all types of components in the Form's
> child hierarchy were checked for component.hasErrorMessage() during form
> validation; any error registered against a component would cause a validation
> failure. In the new version, only instances of Form or FormComponent are
> checked; errors registered against other components are ignored.
>
> Example use case: We have a customized inmethod DataGrid (excellent
> component!) which displays line items from a project estimate (ROM details).
> Each line item is identified by a number of reference fields, such as the
> Module which will be affected by the change, and the Paragraph of the spec
> which specifies the requirements for the change. The grid has a validation
> which ensures that a new line item isn't a duplicate (i.e., doesn't have the
> same Module/Paragraph/etc. combination). It seems to make the most sense to
> register the error against the DataGrid row, since the row represents the
> line item that is a duplicate; but the new Form validation logic ignores this
> change and saves the duplicate into the database. We want the row to detect
> when it has a validation error registered, and show a new CSS class (marking
> the row as invalid by making it orange) when we detect the duplicate; but it
> doesn't make sense to ascribe the validation error to a particular
> FormComponent on the row. I don't think the hierarchy of the datagrid permits
> us to make the row itself a Form without extensive changes.
>
> Please let me know what you guys think. I can resend this to the dev mailing
> list if it's more helpful, or put up a JIRA issue.
> ________________________________
>
> RUSSELL E. MORRISEY
> Programmer Analyst Professional
> Mission Solutions Engineering, LLC
>
> | russell.morri...@missionse.com |
> www.missionse.com<http://www.missionse.com/>
> 304 West Route 38, Moorestown, NJ 08057

> delivery.
> NOTE: Regardless of content, this e-mail shall not operate to bind MSE to any
> order or other contract unless pursuant to explicit written agreement or
> government initiative expressly permitting the use of e-mail for such purpose.

This is a PRIVATE message. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete
without copying and kindly advise us by e-mail of the mistake in delivery.