setMarkupId(true) is used to ensure there is a placeholder generated
in the HTML where the addition of the <div> (or whatever) will take
place.

You don't set this typically on the form itself, but on a placeholder
inside the form that you probably replace with a MarkupContainer of
some kind with the same name that contained the new form elements that
you wanted to inject.