Thanks, any ideas/contributions are welcome - I've created a discussion
group, or alternatively raise an Enhancement on the google code project.

GAE deployment is pretty easy - I'd suggest anyone curious about GAE
deployment for Wicket download the example application WAR and check out the
appengine-cfg.xml and the main Wicket application class, that's pretty much
all the customisation required.