IDs are needed for e.g. AJAX functionality. The default Wicket implementation of markup IDs will create them smartly, never creating duplicate ids even in the case of multiple instances of panels, repeaters, etc.

As I understand Wicket best practice, it is never to call setMarkupId() at all, and just let the smart default thing happen. If you *must* call it because you have some special requirement for particular IDs, then you take on the responsibility for making sure your IDs are unique yourself. In this light, a setMarkupIdToWicketId() method is a dangerous thing.

Bng

David Chang wrote:
Craig, I really appreciate your input. If a panel is reused more than one time
on the same page, then the panel's components should not use IDs in the first
place. It would always violate valid HTML. Correct?

Regards.