I have a wicket website that stores some user choices around how a page is
displayed in the Session - simple, non-critical information.  It also uses Ajax
to do things like bring up a zoomed-in version of an image.

The problem is when sessions expire after an hour or so, trying to zoom an
image or set a display preference causes an Page Expired exception.  Since
people aren't logging in or anything, and no mission-critical information is
being stored in the session, I'd prefer to allow a new session to be
transparently created when necessary rather than showing users a "session
expired" page.

Am I missing some easy way around this problem, or do I need to re-build all
the functionality to use cookies and jQuery instead of wicket forms and ajax?

This thread seems relevant but didn't seem to have a solution:
http://www.nabble.com/Graceful-handling-of-ajax-after-session-expiration-tf4559480.html

Thanks for any pointers -

Bng