Yeah, I think telling him that IE6 is "dead" isn't quite accurate:

Yes, it's declining, but it's not dead.  It is still used 58% as much
as IE8 and roughly 83% as much as IE7.  So, it is still used by folks.
 I agree that people should upgrade, but the fact is that it's still
out there (it's in 5th place out of the 7 browsers listed).