I'm going to bump this with some more information...

I see that Application's getSharedResources() is final, as is
SharedResources's get() method.  So, that doesn't seem like it would work.
SharedResourceRequestTarget is referenced in several places directly (not
using a factory), so that's probably not ideal.  Also, there would be a lot
of code duplication in it's get() method.  So, still looking for a solution
to this issue.  Seems pretty critical for extending an application in the
cloud.

Thanks!

Jake