Per #1, the GAE people highly discourage pinging to keep the instance alive.
Also, I tried it for a bit anyways, and it didn't help.  I get instance
restarts in the MIDDLE of page loads (hint hint: I could use help on my
other post!).  The thing to realize with GAE is that you need to keep
everything out of your Application init().

It takes some effort, but you can get pretty good Wicket apps running on
GAE.  It's certainly a lot harder, though, than running it on your own.

Jake