This is the key - and it has been discussed before (in the many grueling 1.4
conversations).  The short of it is that with private constructors there's a
huge change and an inability to extend.  And without the private
constructors, the static methods are dumb and extraneous because you would
need hundreds of them, and you would need even more of them on your extended
model and component classes.

--
Jeremy Thomerson
http://www.wickettraining.com