I have figured out issue #2.  My form had a method='get' on it and I
have a very large grid with checkboxes in it, so I suspect that I was
overflowing the request size.  Stupid mistake, but the behavior in no
way pointed me towards this.  On the observation I made that it seemed
to work when I removed the readOnly logic, I don't know why that made
it succeed in some tests.  I can only guess that when testing that
part I chose a record that had fewer detail records to load in the
grid.  *shrug*.

However, I am still very eager to get feedback on the first issue
below concerning the onRender.

--
Brian Mulholland
"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils