It sounds very brittle to take HTML output from an old HTML-generating
servlet, cleaning it with a parser, making it valid XML, and then
transforming it into different XML which will represent a spreadsheet.  Is
it really that difficult to obtain the data from the DB, push it into either
a) clean xml representing the spreadsheet, or b) directly into jexcel or poi
api?

--
Jeremy Thomerson
http://www.wickettraining.com