Igor,

You were totally right.  I went into 1.4.8 src, inside WebResponse and
printed out the argument like this:
        public void write(AppendingStringBuffer asb)
        {
        log.info("asb output:\n" + String.valueOf(asb.getValue()));
                try
                {
                        httpServletResponse.getWriter().write(asb.getValue(),
0, asb.length());
                }
                catch (IOException e)
                {
                        throw new WicketRuntimeException("Error while writing
to servlet output
writer.", e);

As far as I could tell from outputting all the arguments to write methods in
WebResponse and Response, this is probably the only (or at least primary)
place where the response gets sent out.

What I found is that responses that came after one or more 302's still has
only one <html>...</html> tag, which is the correct response obviously.  It
looks like there must be a bug in Firebug.  I'll see if I can confirm it
independently and maybe file a bug.

Thanks,
Jamie