Rewinding this thread.  Comments and suggestion in-line.

> The problem is that it renders very slowly in browsers.
>
> The reason is not directly network speed but it is the VERY heavy
> markup. Each table cell has 3 ajax components and the ajax call
> functions are loooooooooong.

So you're doing ~60 network round trips for the calender component alone, if
I understand correctly, and you don't think the issue is network related.  I
find that hard to believe.  If you disable JavaScript in your browser or use
some other method for preventing the Ajax from executing, does it still
render slowly -- assuming it will render at all with Ajax disabled.

> I have tested to strip away all ajax calls and it renders pretty OK.
> Now what I am thinking is that is there a way to shorten the wicket
> ajax call urls?
>

> Note that stripping away the Ajax calls strips away the round trips, not
just the mark up.  I believe the round trips are the real issue.

> Any practical suggestions?
>

> I think you should pre-compute the initial state of your calender on page
load, all the work done in ~1 round trip, and use Ajax to handle changes
that must be reflected dynamically.  Maybe I don't understand your use case
well enough, is there some reason you could not do what I suggest?

 Ed.