Hi,

1)
To get wicket to output a dom id you must call
mycomponent.setOutputMarkupId(true).  This will output a generated dom
id, which you can access in your java code by calling
mycomponent.getMarkupId().
Wicket will overrwrite any dom id in your code, if that element is
used for a wicket component (ie has wicket:id="myid")

2)
Wicket tags like <wicket:panel> are removed if the application is
running in deployment mode, but are rendered if the application is
running in development.  You can control this explicitly by calling
getMarkupSettings().setStripWicketTags(true); in your application init
code, or by using
Application.get().getMarkupSettings().setStripWicketTags(true); in any
wicket code.

--
Regards - Richard Wilkinson
Developer,