(sorry if that gotten reposted, I mistakenly used a different email
address that may have not been registered with the ML)

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 7:00 PM, Igor Vaynberg <igor.vaynb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> you can add a servlet context listener that looks for the lock file
> and nukes it.

I had a similar idea for a while but hoped for a cleaner approach.
Anyways after reading through the docs it looks like HSQLDB is using
the standard Java lock file that gets released when the JVM exits,
hence the issue. Nevertheless, you can force it to remove the lock by
issuing SQL "SHUTDOWN" command to the DB. Now I'm trying to introduce
that in some unobtrusive way - I hit the DB via Hibernate - maybe
subclassing the DataSource would work. I'll see what I can come up
with and report back.

> alternatively you can use the Start class that comes with wicket
> quickstart archetype/project that does what mvn jetty:run but with the
> added benefit of allowing hotswapping, and in that class you can add
> the code to nuke the lock file.
>
> -igor
>
> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 9:57 AM, Jakub Skoczen <skoc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> First of all - this question is not directly concerned with Wicket,
>> sorry for that. But, I did came across this problem when developing a
>> small Wicket web app, so I thought someone else here may have had a
>> similar issue. So here it is: I got tired with the slow
>> write/compile/deploy process and I switched to using jetty:run (with
>> scanning interval set to 10s) and incrementally compiling the classes.
>> Unfortunately, right after jetty detects changes to the compiled class
>> and tries to redeploy the app I get the following HSQLDB exception:
>>
>> java.sql.SQLException: The database is already in use by another
>> process: org.hsqldb.persist.niolockf...@7c137657[...] is presumably
>> locked by another process.
>>
>> HSQLDB is run using the in-process mode and the following exception is
>> thrown both when using memory and file backend. It obviously looks
>> like HSQLDB is not releasing the lock during the auto redeployment,
>> maybe Jetty is locking up the thread somehow? Anyways, any ideas will
>> be greatly appreciated.
>> --
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Jakub