Thanks for the ideas. Still no joy.

The behavior is consistent between three different clients, all running
different versions of IE (6,7 and 8).
I was able to use the debugging feature built in to IE 8 to see that the
wicket ajax javascript was gettting called. At some point in that process it
lost the value of the field and it got set to an empty field.

I have the feeling that there is something different with the environment on
this particular server - but I have no idea what at this point.