The two are added to the same component, but have no direct
relationship to each other.  It IS true that the non-working one is
added 2nd.  However in the test where I am trying to get control to
the 2nd one, I typed input that did not evoke a message from the first
validator.

But could you elaborate on that point?  Do you mean that the order in
which I add validators dictates the order in which they execute and
that when a validator fails, others are not executed?  Does that rule
only apply within the component?  And do form validators run if a
field validator fails?

I've been looking around for details like this, and all I see are
highly simplistic examples about required checks.  I never seem to
find an in depth discussion about when validators fire, how they
interact and so forth.  Where is this info discussed?

Brian Mulholland