Thanks for the reply Martijn.

I have done some poking around and I think this thread holds the key:
http://apache-wicket.1842946.n4.nabble.com/PageExpiredException-ajax-request-td1878866.html#a1878866
PageExpiredException - ajax request

It looks like our 'stateless' page gets rendered with AJAX links in it that
get saved to the pagemap.  If I open another browser window and interact
with the application for a period of time it seems the AJAX link references
in the initial tab are removed from the page map so if I click on any of
them the app returns a PEE.

So it seems the answer is to detect the PEE and then regenerate a fresh
version of the page.  I am still working on that part but at least I have
learned some more about areas of the framework I hadn't spent enough time
with to this point.

Some questions around ajax, stateless/statefull pages and page mounts.
(please forgive me if any of these reflect my ignorance).

- if I have a stateless page(mounted page with an empty/PageParameter
constructor) but add elements/panels with AJAX behaviors does it become
statefull?  Confusingly isStateless() always returns true even though the
page seems to be referenced in the pagemap. I'm still trying to fully
understand the relationship between stateless and statefull in Wicket.

- should either of the following have any effect?
  getRequestCycleSettings().setBufferResponse(false);

getRequestCycleSettings().setRenderStrategy(IRequestCycleSettings.ONE_PASS_RENDER);

- setting setAutomaticMultiWindowSupport to true adds the following to new
urls:   "/wicket:pageMapName/wicket-3/".  Is there any way to prevent this
as it mangles the URL effect I am trying to implement?