I've struggled with this myself in the context of AJAX events that are
handled completely by subpanels.  I want only one feedback panel on
the page, but the subpanels need to be able to add them to their
AjaxRequestTarget.  Perhaps you could override the default ajax
request cycle handling in some way that looks at the page for an
interface (FeedbackContainer) or something.  If there are any
messages, then it adds the feedback panel to the target automatically?