I think it primarily comes from having a client that will push you to do things
with it that you didn't think you could do before.

Otherwise, you have to push yourself, and that takes a longer because people
naturally avoid things that they aren't familiar with.

Note there are different types of Wicket developers.  If you want to work on
the framework itself, it's a superset of the skills to be a great app developer
using Wicket.  I personally have no shame in being a great Wicket developer who
is very happy with what's there already.  But if you want to be a contributor
to the framework, you're obviously going to have to have a vision for what you
need and be able to package it in a way that others will find pleasing, and do
so with a coding style that doesn't annoy the rest of the team members.  From
my experience with other OSS projects, that's something that's better handled
slowly and over time.  If someone was wondering what it takes to be a top
framework developer, they probably don't have it yet, so I would focus first on
creating great apps first, and back to getting some work where you can practice
and be pushed to do things you haven't done before.

$0.02, YMMV, etc.