Martin,
    I have the following. All I am getting is a null value. Am I setting the
model object wrong?

IModel<String> stringObjectModel = new LoadableDetachableModel<
String>()
        {
            /**
             *
             */
            private static final long serialVersionUID =
2165619560012612599L;
            private String text;

            @Override
            protected String load()
            {
                return text;
            }

        };

stringObjectModel.setObject("abc");

DropDownChoice<String> programList = new
DropDownChoice<String>("users",stringObjectModel, users.getAll(), new
IChoiceRenderer<Object>()
{
    /**
     * Generated
     */
    private static final long serialVersionUID = -7278851941695545331L;

    @Override
    public Object getDisplayValue(Object object)
    {
        return object.toString();
    }

    @Override
    public String getIdValue(Object object, int index)
    {
        object.toString()
);

programList.setDefaultModelObject(stringObjectModel);

--
Eric Reagan