Hi Peter,

Looking at the code I think you'll need to touch wicket-autocomplete.js.
Copy it to your project and override
org.apache.wicket.extensions.ajax.markup.html.autocomplete.AutoCompleteBehavior#renderHead(IHeaderResponse)
so that it loads your .js file.
Then make
org.apache.wicket.extensions.ajax.markup.html.autocomplete.AutoCompleteTextField.newAutoCompleteBehavior(IAutoCompleteRenderer<T>,
AutoCompleteSettings) return your custom AutoCompleteBehavior.

In the .js itself you'll need to touch "function setSelected(newSelected)"
at line 212 (1.4-SNAPSHOT). Each time this function is called you'll have to
make your Ajax call.

Good luck!