Just to clarify:

The page in the example link I sent is stateless (it's static html). The
other point is that Chrome and IE do not fetch the original page on back
button click. They are serving the original html straight from the cache
(without the DOM modifications).

It sounds like the only "fix" is to update the page headers so that no
browser will ever cache the page. That seems like an overkill but so far I
haven't found any other solution that works across browsers. This seems like
a very common scenario... is it also very common to set all the no-cache
headers?

Ryan