This is what my class basically looks like, hope it helps:

-----------------

package my.app;

import my.model.AlreadyExistsException;
import my.model.DoesNotExistException;
import my.model.FailedUpdateException;
import my.model.HasChildRelationsException;
import my.model.ParentRecord;
import my.model.ChildRecord;

import org.apache.wicket.behavior.SimpleAttributeModifier;
import org.apache.wicket.markup.html.WebMarkupContainer;
import org.apache.wicket.markup.html.basic.Label;
import org.apache.wicket.markup.html.form.Button;
import org.apache.wicket.markup.html.form.DropDownChoice;
import org.apache.wicket.markup.html.form.Form;
import org.apache.wicket.markup.html.form.TextField;
import org.apache.wicket.model.PropertyModel;
import org.slf4j.Logger;
import org.slf4j.LoggerFactory;

public class ChildRecordPanel // extends AbstractTabPanel
{
    private static Logger log =
LoggerFactory.getLogger(ChildRecordPanel.class);

    private ChildRecord selectedChildRecord;
    private String unmodifiedChildRecord;

    @SuppressWarnings({"rawtypes"})
    public ChildRecordPanel(String id)
    {
        super(id);

        Form selectForEditForm = new Form("selectForEditForm");

        editGroup = new EditGroup("editGroup");
        editGroup.setVisible(false);

        selectForEditForm.add(new
DropDownChoice<ChildRecord>("childRecords",
                new PropertyModel<ChildRecord>(this,
"selectedChildRecord"),
                childRecordsModel,
                new ChildRecordRenderer()).setNullValid(false));

        Button add = new Button("add")
        {

            public void onSubmit()
            {
                selectedChildRecord = new ChildRecord();
                isNew = true;
                editLegend = "New";
                editGroup.setVisible(true);
            }
        };

        selectForEditForm.add(add);

        Button edit = new Button("edit")
        {

            public void onSubmit()
            {
                unmodifiedChildRecord = selectedChildRecord.getName();
                isNew = false;
                editLegend = "Edit";
                editGroup.setVisible(true);
            }
        };

        selectForEditForm.add(edit);

        Button delete = new Button("delete")
        {

            public void onSubmit()
            {
                try
                {
                    unmodifiedChildRecord =
selectedChildRecord.getName();

childRecordService.delete(selectedChildRecord.getName(), user);
                    selectedChildRecord = null;
                    info("Deleted '" + unmodifiedChildRecord + "'");
                }
                catch (DoesNotExistException e)
                {
                    error("'" + selectedChildRecord.getName() + "' does
not exist.");
                }
                catch (HasChildRelationsException e)
                {
                    error("Cannot delete until children have been
removed.");
                }

                // Update the dropdown list
                // TODO how?

                // Close the panel
                editGroup.setVisible(false);
            }
        };

        // Add confirmation dialog box
        delete.add(new SimpleAttributeModifier(
                "onclick", "if (!confirm('Please confirm you want to
delete...') ){ return false; }"));

        selectForEditForm.add(delete);

        add(selectForEditForm);
        add(editGroup);
    }

    class EditGroup extends WebMarkupContainer
    {

        @SuppressWarnings("rawtypes")
        public EditGroup(String id)
        {
            super(id);
            add(new Label("editLegend", new
PropertyModel(ChildRecordPanel.this, "editLegend")));

            Form editForm = new Form("editForm");
            editForm.add(new Label("childRecordLabel", "Child"));
            editForm.add(new Label("parentRecordLabel", "Parent"));

            editForm.add(new TextField<String>("childRecordText",
                    new PropertyModel<String>(ChildRecordPanel.this,
                            "selectedChildRecord.name")));

            editForm.add(new DropDownChoice<ParentRecord>("parents",
                    new
PropertyModel<ParentRecord>(ChildRecordPanel.this,
"selectedChildRecord.parent"),
                    ChildRecordPanel.this.getParentRecords(),
                    new ParentRecordRenderer()).setNullValid(false));

            editForm.add(new Button("save")
            {

                public void onSubmit()
                {
                    if (isNew)
                    {
                        try
                        {

childRecordService.create(selectedChildRecord, user);
                            info("Created '" +
selectedChildRecord.getName() + "'");
                        }
                        catch (AlreadyExistsException e)
                        {
                            error(selectedChildRecord.getName() + "
already exists.");
                    else
                    {
                        try
                        {

childRecordService.update(unmodifiedChildRecord, selectedChildRecord,
user);
                            info("Updated '" +
selectedChildRecord.getName() + "'");
                        }
                        catch (FailedUpdateException e)
                        {
                            log.error("Error updating '" +
selectedChildRecord.getName() + "'", e);
                            error("An error occured during update.
Please contact the system administrator.");
                        }
                        catch (DoesNotExistException e)
                        {
                            error("'" + selectedChildRecord.getName() +
"' does not exist.");

                    // Update the dropdown list
                    // TODO how?

                    // Close the panel
                    editGroup.setVisible(false);
                }
            });

            editForm.add(new Button("cancel")
            {

                public void onSubmit()
                {
                    selectedChildRecord = null;
                    editGroup.setVisible(false);
                }
            }.setDefaultFormProcessing(false));

            add(editForm);

    // ***************************************************************
    // These variables/inner classes in the "real" code live in
    // AbstractTabPanel so that they are accessible by all tab panels
    // ***************************************************************

    // TODO set to the logged in user
    String user = "Unknown";

    private boolean isNew = false;
    private String editLegend;
    private EditGroup editGroup;

    class ChildRecordRenderer implements IChoiceRenderer<ChildRecord>
    {

        // Gets the display value that is visible to the end user.
        public Object getDisplayValue(ChildRecord childRecord)
        {
            return childRecord.getName();
        }

        // Gets the value that is invisble to the end user, and that is
used as
        // the selection id.
        public String getIdValue(ChildRecord childRecord, int index)
        {
            return childRecord.getName();

    class ParentRecordRenderer implements IChoiceRenderer<ParentRecord>
    {

        // Gets the display value that is visible to the end user.
        public Object getDisplayValue(ParentRecord childRecord)
        {
            return parentRecord.getName();
        }

        // Gets the value that is invisble to the end user, and that is
used as
        // the selection id.
        public String getIdValue(ParentRecord parentRecord, int index)
        {
            return parentRecord.getName();

    LoadableDetachableModel<List<ChildRecord>> childRecordsModel = new
LoadableDetachableModel<List<ChildRecord>>()
    {

        protected List<ChildRecord> load()
        {
            return childRecordService.getList();