We use this for formatting dates, numbers, etc.:

public class MessageFormatColumn<T> extends PropertyColumn<T>
{
    private final String pattern;

    public MessageFormatColumn(IModel<String> displayModel, String
propertyExpression, String pattern)
    {
        super(displayModel, propertyExpression);
        this.pattern = pattern;
    }

    public MessageFormatColumn(IModel<String> displayModel, String
sortProperty, String propertyExpression, String pattern)
    {
        super(displayModel, sortProperty, propertyExpression);
        this.pattern = pattern;
    }

    @Override
    protected IModel<?> createLabelModel(IModel<T> itemModel)
    {
        IModel<?> superModel = super.createLabelModel(itemModel);
        return new Model<String>(MessageFormat.format(pattern,
superModel.getObject()));