Hello,
  I've implemented something like this but using a TabbedPanel and not
AjaxTabbedPanel. The issue with AjaxTabbedPane is that the url is
always the same while you're navigating through the tabs.

  I'll tell you what I've done: I subclassed TabbedPanel and I overrode:

protected WebMarkupContainer newLink(String linkId, int index)

  and I return a BookmarkablePageLink instead of a Link. In the
pageparameters I added a string that is the tab being clicked.
Something like this:

PageParameters pp = new PageParameters("0=" + tab.getBaseURL())
return new BookmarkablePageLink<Void>(linkId, target, pp);

  Also, I mounted the page containing the tabbedpanel with the
following strategy: IndexedHybridUrlCodingStrategy, so the url will
end up in: domain.com/page/tab1 or /page/tab2 according to the baseURL
method.

  And the last step is to parse the pageparameters when your page is
constructed and tell the tabbedpanel which one is the selected tab, so
the selected tab is shown.

HTH
Regards.

--