Yes, this is safe.

Sebastian did some great work cleaning up the original API and classes.

The examples have also been extended to make the usage scenarios much
clearer.

We are working on moving all this work into wicketstuff right now, we
would love for you to test it later as it becomes available, but please
feel free to use the previous (1.4.8) release as it is still the most
stable.