well, the two kinds of ajax requests differ; the WebRequest#isAjax method
returns true for wicket-ajax, but false for non-wicket-ajax requests.  The
'wicket-ajax' request has the Wicket-Ajax header, the other does not.  So I
should have said that the first (locking) request was non-wicket-ajax; i.e.
an ajax request but without the Wicket-Ajax header set.

Some further digging turned up the wicket:ajax request parameter; I guess I
should simply append it to the URL for the non-wicket-ajax behavior.
 Perhaps that could happen in the base class AbstractAjaxBehavior?

cheers, Frank