ok a sample that it also works in with the right parent:

public class HelloWorld extends WebPage implements IComponentResolver {

        final Label label;
        public HelloWorld()
        {
                label = new Label("label", new Model<String>()
                                {
                                        @Override
                                        public String getObject() {
                                                return "my label: "  +
label.isEnabledInHierarchy();
                                        }
                                });
                add(new WebMarkupContainer("body").setEnabled(false));
                add(label);
        }

        public boolean resolve(MarkupContainer container,
                        MarkupStream markupStream, ComponentTag tag) {

                Component component = get(tag.getId());
                if (component != null)
                {
                        container.autoAdd(component, markupStream);
                        return true;
                }
                return false;

you will see that it is disabled...