I always try to identify logical groups and delegate creation
 of those to  separat private methods. And use Panels for reusability.

Hans, the private method trick should do it although the HomePage is still
lenghty.

regarding the panels: I'm using a lot of them. But for instantiation I need to
specify what to do onClick so I could reuse the panel in a different context
somewhen later.
I mean, when the panelA detects a click this is forwarded to the onClick method
which is overwritten in Homepage to invoke a search.
But if I want to reuse that panelA in a different context maybe I want to
trigger a different onClick behaviour?

Create components out of some of the groups of components that
logically belong together?
James, What do you mean here?