Check out the open source project jetwick where I am using Solr + Wicket:

https://github.com/karussell/Jetwick
(or at jetwick.com the video intro)

"sql like" is definitely not recommended for a large number of items.
Feel free to ask further questions ;-)

Regards,
Peter.

I want to add search functionality to my site (think of a classifieds
site, something like craigslist where users post items to sell).

Currently I am using mysql for storage, and nothing else. Is searching
directly at the database via queries the best way? It seems illogical
to perform a linear search at a large mysql table using a 'like'
statement. I'm sure there's a better way, anyone implemented a
successful (fast, memory-friendly) search feature in a web 2.0 site?
Thanks.

http://jetwick.com twitter search prototype