Did you make sure that when using c3p0 it actually was enabled and that you
used the validation query? and set this property:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1652676/hibernate-c3p0-broken-pipe

<property
name="hibernate.connection.provider_class">org.hibernate.connection.C3P0ConnectionProvider</property>

Anyways as Martin says BoneCP are nicer, although some time ago it did not
play that nice together with HSQL (it's probably better now)..