Quoting Alexandros Karypidis <akary...@yahoo.gr>:
I'm using SLF4J and was wondering whether pages should declare:

    private transient final Logger log = LoggerFactory
            .getLogger(SomePage.class);

as members. I guess that accessing a page that was saved and then re-loaded
would result in breaking logging, as the variable would be set to null. I've no
idea how heavy-weight these Logger implementations are though and am worried
that they should not be declared in class scope.

Using static loggers has the benefit of non-serialization between other things, including consistency between instances. Making them final and private may be appropriate as well. Here's a snippet from our calipso wicket app:

/**
 * Please make proper use of logging, see
 * http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category
 * :Logging_and_Auditing_Vulnerability
 */
private static final Logger logger = // call logger factory

Cheers,

Manos