I'm not a committer, just a normal 1.5 user concerned about bloat.

For what it's worth, I took a few minutes to actually look at the change
(MarkupContainer as you'd expect) and I can see that if you don't use the
new queue methods, the only a memory overhead is the *static* QUEUE (nothing
extra per component!) so I appreciate that performance-wise anyway, it's a
low impact feature you can ignore without penalty.

I'm not thrilled about the conceptual impact of adding a new concern to an
already large class, but the implementation looks quite nice actually, so my
first concern that it might break existing behavior is satisfied.

I still don't think it's necessary, and wonder if it might actually be
counter-productive to have more than one way to learn for new adopters.  If
it goes forward, I don't suppose there's much precedent for taking something
back out, is there?

What a difficult discussion to have over email - I'm in the -1 camp on this
overall, but I think I do appreciate the admirable motive to innovate, so I
hope the committers will give this serious consideration and then chuck it
in the bin where it ...  no, just kidding,  ;)  and then make a fair
decision.

Thanks,
--Jim Pinkham.