To be honest, I decided to stick this code into my own web page (it has a
form), but I put it outside of it without a form, and it works fine....

Shows up just dandy. I did of course change your retrieveButton code to add
an ");". So I presume it is something else in your code stopping your code
from compiling or something.... Perhaps something wrong with UserVerifyForm,
not sure what this extends. I assume you edited a lot of your code which was
necessary when you put it up on the boards, which you may, but everything
works for me.... What version of Wicket are you using?