> I have a c++ background and this kind of problem is even more dangerous in
> c++ (virtual calls don't work as normal in constructors). In Java also, I
> think making "this" known to the outside world before it is fully
> constructed is unsafe, as illustrated above.

It's a potential problem we've been aware of and consciously allowed
to exist in Wicket for a long time after our failed attempt to address
it on Wicket 2.0 (years ago). In the end I don't think it is a
concrete very often, and the difficulties that get introduced trying
to fix it are simply not worth it in our case.

Eelco