Hey, thanks for the response ... though i think there is more to it.
When I look at the header of a normal image in web context, he server
returns 302 (NO MODIFIED).

Despite me changing the HTTP cache controls, a "HTTP/1.1 200 OK" still makes
the browser stream the image from the server. Using HTTP live Headers i
ensured the HTTP headers match that of normal image Ditto. This (200 vs 302)
is the only noticeable difference. Am unable to force a 302 for some reason
(...am looking at that)

Any ideas?

Will some sort of UrlCodingStrategy to avoid params in my URL trick the
browser and tomcat server in thinking its a genuine image resource?
like : /my/synthetic/image/image1.jpg instead of Download?image=image1.jpg.

Any ideas?

-----
Don't take life too seriously, your'e not getting out it alive anyway!