Clint - I'm seeing similar problem in the simplest possible page. I took the
Counter Page example from the Wicket's website and put that into my panels.
(the only 2 things in the panel are the AjaxFallbackLink and Label) Clicking
on the link would not update the counter.

How do I get to to that "Wicket debug panel"? - I'm pretty new to Wicket.
Since I'm not using a form I assume that for me it's problem #1.

Dave