SOLVED:

After some debugging I noticed the following:

In the constructor the url generated is:
./wicket/page?54-0.IBehaviorListener.0

In onBeforeRender and onAfterRender the url is
./wicket/page?54-1.IBehaviorListener.0

I was pretty much getting the url as a string and passing it to WiQuery (ie:
another object). When the url is finally updated after the constructor (ie:
later in the request cycle) the string was obviously not altered though the
url was no longer good.

Furthermore, reloading the page doesn't always seem to call the constructor
leaving a further off url. Meaning the string stored was for a previous
version number so it might be 52-0 instead of the intended 53-1 etc....

This may be obvious to someone who understood the url changes even after the
constructor of the page was called. I suppose it boggled me as this is only
an issue now in Wicket 1.5 somehow.