Thanks Martin for pointing me in the right direction.

I had already found out about the updatePolicy but couldn't manage to get the correct repository URL for the snapshots. One of the links with your search terms enlightened me.

Here's what I did. Add this to settings.xml :
<repository>
<id>apache.snapshots</id>
<name>Apache Snapshots</name> <!--Wicket-->
<url>http://repository.apache.org/snapshots/</url>
<releases>
<enabled>false</enabled>
</releases>