Hi all,

I am pretty new to Wicket (using 1.4.10) and have some hard time to figure out how the interaction between components and models exactly works. So I was hopeing that someone here could enlighten me or tell me where I should look (WARNING: Rather lengthy post).

My particular problem is that I have a custom component that extends FormComponent<Calendar> to display a date in a certain way. This component is part of a Panel in which I use a CompoundPropertyModel to render an object containing a calendar among other things (the object is fully populated and load from the database by using a LoadableDetachableModel chained to the CompoundPropertyModel).

For the other object fields I simply use TextFields which get populated properly and when I use a TextField<calendar> instead of my custom component the field contains the result of Calendar.toString so I guess the Panel it's children and the corresponding are set up correctly.

But whenever I use my custom component I don't get a reference to that Calendar instance. I did try to get some insights by looking into the code of the TextField class and overriding various methods from super classes but I just did not get it.

To my understanding something like setModel or setModelObject on my component should be called so I can override this method and do my custom stuff in it. But somehow this does not happen. During debugging I saw that the Panel is set as my components parent and everything seeme to be stuck together correctly. But somehow I can't get the Calendar instance from my object to get set as my components model value.

So I figure that I am missing some vital point on this topic and would be very grateful for any advice, like an how to for extending Components or something similar.

Thanks for reading this far,
Chris