Yesterday while playing with AutoCompleTextField, I created a quickstart to
show how it is 'broken'. I hadn't thought of using a converter. After using
a converter the component behaves as I'd expect.

So a simpler solution could be: 1) improve the AutoCompleteTextField's java
doc to explain using the converter 2) update the wicketExample page to
include an example using a converter, 3) add some logic, or an ease of use
hook so that AutoComplete can detect when its being used against objects
that aren't strings and is breaking.

I'll open a Jira, attach the quickstart and attach a patch that takes care
of those 3 pieces. Yesterday I glanced at the ObjectAutoComplete and it
looks very powerful, but maybe even more complex.

My initial desire was that an AutoCompleteTextField mirror how a
DropDownChoice behaves by default. I'll try to demonstrate that in my patch.

-Clint