Well, my app is a game which you could call Excel, but in fantasy settings :)
Modifying lots of tables and simple calculations, lots of them. Some people
call that building, attacking, spellcasting...

I have most of stuff atm in User entity, over 100 variables, some of them
ArrayLists and HashMaps. Persistence with JDO and Guice to make things
nicer. Right now I am putting whole User into session, then retrieving data
from it. When user modified smth with a form, it would persist whole User to
the db. Most of the time there is not much interaction - user walks around
the app and looks at numbers, getting them every time from db and not from
session seems ineffective. Of course consistency and workability are more
important :) Smooth experience for users and no chance for bugs [ISE, blank
pages, other user's data, out of order persists] is the most important thing
here.