I am not sure if it is still true, but if you have the label added, just the
visibility is false from the beginning, then in older versions of wicket it
would not actually put the component, even the placeholder. I dealt with
this before, but I think in newer versions presumably this was changed....
In theory a good way to check if this is an issue is to setvisible to true
in the beginning and alternate.

If your trying to add a new markup that never existed in html to the page,
it should throw an error, and then you will need to use ListViews etc... as
described above.